I am in love with natural lighting. I don't think I've used my pop up flash in many moons. And my external flash is on the brink of collapse so I don't use it that often anymore. This has forced me to play around with my camera a lot more and I'm glad. But truth be told, I just love natural sunlight best. So taking photos at night is difficult or, ahem, challenging, shall we say.
But this is what I am trying to do...challenge myself... a lot. Tonight I played around with depth of field a lot more. As I have looked back at my photos from the past year, I noticed I did a lot more "playing" with this type of stuff when I was taking my photography class last year but slowly stopped doing that toward the end of the summer. So, I am trying to do that all again. Tonight my Swedish horse was the subject. Little know fact! My paternal grandfather was 1/2 Swedish (and 1/2 German) and along with being Slovakian, I am a pretty solid mix. I am actually most German, believe it or not. I am very proud of my heritage and when I was in Sweden several years ago I brought back this horse to remind me of that. So it stands on my mantle and I love it. It reminds me of my Grandma, who was Slovakian, not Swedish, but was very proud of her heritage. Ok, that was entirely confusing but you get the idea. No? Ok, well, just take the picture at face value then!

2 comments:
Very good! And with the 50mm it's hard not to create depth of field right?! I love the fact I rarely need a flash anymore! Although I need a lot of practice with that lens as I tend to have it focus on something else so the face or whatever I meant to be in focus ends up not and my whole pic is ruined!! This happened with all of Caden's bike shots I took last weekend! I am good with close ups but with the far away something is going awry which I need to get a handle on before I start shedding tears!
Hey Lisa,
I agree...DOF is much easier with this lense. I was also playing around with the aperature so I got near and far things in focus. It was one of those things that I had a handle on and would do after photography class last year but abandoned it for a while. So I tried to do it again- I just didn't post it because the pics were of my messy living room. :)
Let's do a photography walkabout soon! Maybe that bike path in Derry? The men and kids can go at their pace and we can go at ours! ;)
Post a Comment