Mimi and Dakota visited for a little bit this past Sunday. The kids loved running around the yard with Dakota (and Mimi too). I am really trying to work on Brendan to get a dog again. I know we are ready for one and the kids definitely are. Dakota is almost 12 years old. She is such a good dog and I don't even want to think about the day when she is gone. We all love her very much!
This photo was taken on 9-11. It was a beautiful day not unlike the same date ten years ago. I watched 9-11 remembrance specials all weekend long. The first one when Brendan was gone at a football game on Friday night. I was crying so hard when he walked in the door. It was miserable- a lot of those folks were the age that I am now with kids that are my kids age. I can't even imagine the families' loss. So, yes, I felt very sad while watching those programs (not around the kids of course!) but I couldn't help but think of a quote that I had written down in my "quotes book" in high school (yes, I was a dork, ok?!), that my AP history teacher Ms Lavoie had said, "You can be sad every day of your life about the state of the world. Do something about what you feel sad about!" It's true. Tears are all well and good. But actions are what count. On 9-11 my actions were to be with my kids and with Brendan and to make every moment that I have with them mean something. But on a grander scale my intent is to do some volunteer work within the next year. I'm not sure with what but I'll be looking out for something close to home and something that I can make a difference with.
This week I heard the Martina McBride song, "Anyway" and I think this song is pretty great and pretty powerful and very applicable to this past weekend:
"Anyway"
You can spend your whole life buildin'
Somethin' from nothin'
One storm can come and blow it all away
Build it anyway
You can chase a dream
That seems so out of reach
And you know it might not ever come your way
Dream it anyway
[chorus:]
God is great, but sometimes life ain't good
When I pray it doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway
I do it anyway
This world's gone crazy and it's hard to believe
That tomorrow will be better than today
Believe it anyway
You can love someone with all your heart
For all the right reasons
And in a moment they can choose to walk away
love 'em anyway
[chorus]
You can pour your soul out singing
A song you believe in
That tomorrow they’ll forget you ever sang
Sing it anyway
Yeah, sing it anyway
I sing, I dream, I love
Anyway
yeah
You can spend your whole life buildin'
Somethin' from nothin'
One storm can come and blow it all away
Build it anyway
You can chase a dream
That seems so out of reach
And you know it might not ever come your way
Dream it anyway
[chorus:]
God is great, but sometimes life ain't good
When I pray it doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway
I do it anyway
This world's gone crazy and it's hard to believe
That tomorrow will be better than today
Believe it anyway
You can love someone with all your heart
For all the right reasons
And in a moment they can choose to walk away
love 'em anyway
[chorus]
You can pour your soul out singing
A song you believe in
That tomorrow they’ll forget you ever sang
Sing it anyway
Yeah, sing it anyway
I sing, I dream, I love
Anyway
yeah

1 comment:
Besides a great fun photo.. I love that you are so great with quotes, and hear the true meaning behind songs, rathen than what I do.. just sing a long to a good beat, but rarely actually even realize what the song is about :)
Post a Comment