9.19.2010
M is for Manual
I've always been very intimidated by the manual option on my camera. Goodness, it took me almost two years of owning my camera before I fooled around with any of the other options besides auto or auto-no flash! But for the past 4 months or so I've been shooting on Aperture-Priority, which is a perfectly respectable place to be. And I've been fiddling with that setting often too, often trying to over or under expose my photographs, depending on the situation. Two weeks ago I picked up a copy of Bryan Petterson's Understanding Exposure and while there are some very basic concepts in there that I have understood for awhile there are also some excellent tips and technique suggestions in there as well. For example, he suggests setting the White Balance to "cloudy" on most days and improving the color saturation on the camera. So far, this has worked well but I have been messing around the white balance options a lot more too. The book has strongly encourages photographers to get in manual mode and so I tried it and I cringed at some of my photographs but others looked, well, surprisingly ok!
This photo was taken in manual mode and is SOOC. I think I'll venture more into this manual mode a bit more and we'll see where that goes. Like anything I try, there will be horrible shots and good shots....practice makes perfect!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hi Kelly,
that's so funny, because I've been trying manual mode very recently also. I found a great website that you might like- iheartfaces.com. they have weekly themed photo contests and lots of photography tutorials. I was encouraged to try manual from one of their articles.
Kathy
Great shot Kelly! No overexposed white! While I've tried dabbling in manual mode.. Aperature mode is by far my favorite.. so easy and less thinking, but I guess that is not what it's all about we should be working our minds!
Some day we'll get it all figured out I hope! I can't wait til our photo walk.. I have high hopes for that class :)
I am glad you posted the name of the book! I had fogotten the name by the time we got home. I'll have to put it on my amazon wish list! Definitely need to check that one out.
great pic of Kerry! A keeper - both ( :
Ask your grandma about cameras. She might still have some useable knowledge1
Post a Comment